The school reopening proposal was shared in many Whatsapp groups in the state on Wednesday and when the attention of Special Adviser to the governor on Education, Mr. Jamiu Olawumi was drawn to the proposal, he told our correspondent to disregard it.
Olawumi, who claimed that the man circulating the said proposal had been arrested by the police on the order of state government, told residents to wait for the directive of Governor Gboyega Oyetola on the issue.
According to the said reopening proposal, schools in Osun state were to resume on July 20, 2020, and only 20 children were to sit in a class
It was also proposed that big schools would run two shifts of the morning, 8 am to 12 pm; and afternoon, 1.30 pm to 5.30 pm daily.
But Olawumi said, “Schools were closed by the President and the power to reopen has been conceded to the state governors. Osun citizens should await the announcement as endorsed by the governor very soon. We have handed him (the person behind the proposal) over to the police. Disregard the proposal please.”
Efforts to get the reaction of Osun State leadership of the National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools to the development proved futile.
When contacted for clarification, the president of NAPPS in the state, Alhaja Muinat Adepoju, told our correspondent she was in a meeting and promised to call back.