Connect with us

NIGERIA

Akpabio names lawmakers on NDDC contracts’ list

Published

on

The Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Godswill Akpabio, has linked some members of the National Assembly to some contracts awarded by the Niger Delta Development Commission.

Akpabio, however, did not state if the lawmakers were directly awarded the contracts or they nominated the projects under their Zonal Intervention Projects, also known as constituency projects.

The former Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on the NDDC, Mr. Nicholas Mutu, who represents the Bomadi/Patani Federal Constituency of Delta State, is among those linked by the minister with contracts.

The minister listed Mutu’s name against 74 projects, including various emergency road projects in Delta, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, and Rivers states.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had on February 3, 2020, arraigned Mutu before Justice Folashade Giwa-Ogunbanjo of the Federal High Court in Abuja for alleged abuse of office and fraud involving about N320m.

Akpabio also linked the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Niger Delta Affairs, Senator Peter Nwaoboshi (Delta-North), with 53 projects, which included emergency repairs of Asue Street, Owa Phase 2; ldumuogbe Road via Ojemaye; Otolokpo College Road, Otolokpo; and the Police lshu Ani Ukwu Road, Issele Uku.

Other lawmakers that Akpabio listed projects against are Senator Matthew Urhoghide (Edo-South), six; James Manager (Delta-South), six; Samuel Anyanwu (Imo-West, 8th Senate), 19; and others simply identified as Ondo and Edo Reps.

The minister, however, did not provide the cost of the projects listed against the lawmakers’ names, while the cost of contracts given to non-lawmakers had costs of various projects attached to them.

Non-National Assembly members are also on the list.

It was further observed that the minister copied to the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN).

The House had on Thursday resolved to sue Akpabio for alleged perjury and defamation of the parliament.

Akpabio had on Monday, while appearing before the House Committee on the NDDC during an investigative hearing on the alleged illegal spending and mismanagement of funds, alleged that members of the National Assembly were awarded 60 percent of contracts by the commission.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NIGERIA

WASSCE: Delta demotes 41 teachers for exam malpractice

Published

on

The Delta State Government has sanctioned 41 teachers for examination malpractice during the 2019 West African Senior School Certificate Examination.

This is contained in a statement by Delta Commissioner for Basic and Secondary Education, Mr Patrick Ukah.

Ukah said the decisions were based on the recommendations by the Examination Ethics Disciplinary Committee of the state.

He said, “They are to suffer deferment of promotion by one year and banned from the supervision of any school examination for a period of three years.

“I have directed the Post Primary Education Board to implement the deferment of promotions by one year for the 41 affected teachers.

“While others are being sanctioned, P.O. Okolo, is to be given a letter of commendation for a job well done during the examination.

“The principals and examination officers of 13 public secondary schools and one private secondary school indicted for examination malpractice are to be issued with letters of warning by PPEB to desist from acts of negligence.”

Ukah also approved Anointed Secondary School, Ubogo, Udu Local Government Area, which was closed down last year for examination malpractice be issued a warning letter and allowed to reopen to give the school a second chance to abide by laid down examination ethics.

It was reported that the Examination Ethics Disciplinary Committee, headed by the Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Sam Dietake.

Other representatives are the PPEB, Ministry of Justice, Nigeria Union of Teachers, All Nigeria Conference of Principals of Secondary Schools, Association of Private School Owners of Nigeria, National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools, and other officials of the ministry.

Continue Reading

NIGERIA

Ebonyi crash: Three more bodies recovered from river

Published

on

Three more corpses were, on Sunday, recovered from the river that a bus conveying 32 passengers, who were returning from a burial, plunged into on Friday.

The crash occurred in the Akaeze Ukwu community, Ivo Local Government Area of Ebonyi State.

It was reported that the victims attended a funeral in the Afikpo South Local Government Area of the state and were on their way back to Enugu State when the incident happened.

One of the three corpses recovered was identified as a retired police officer, CPS Livinus Mbah.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mrs. Loveth Odah, told our correspondent, “Three more corpses have been recovered. Among them is the lifeless body of CSP Livinus Mbah (retd.), making a total of 23 victims.

“The corpses have been deposited at the Mater Misercordae Hospital, Afikpo, for preservation. Effort is on to recover the remaining 10 persons.”

Investigations revealed that 19 out of the 23 persons were brought out dead, while four were hospitalized and responding to treatment.

Continue Reading

NIGERIA

Emir’s death: Kaduna declares public holiday, three days mourning

Published

on

The Kaduna State Government has declared three days mourning for the late Emir of Zazzau, Alhaji Shehu Idris.

The Special Adviser to the Governor Nasir el-Rufai on Media and Communication, Mr Muyiwa Adekeye, announced this in a statement on Monday.

Adekeye said public offices would open on September 21 and September 22 but “there will be a public holiday on September 23 to honour his memory’’.

The statement was titled, “Kaduna declares three days mourning for late Emir of Zazzau”.

It read, “The Kaduna State Government has declared three days of mourning for the late Emir of Zazzau, HH Alh. Shehu Idris. Public offices will open as normal on 21 and 22 September 2020.

“There will be a public holiday on 23 September to honour his memory.

“Flags will fly at half-mast during the mourning period.”

The emir died at the 44 Army Reference Hospital, Kaduna on Sunday at the age of 84.

Meanwhile, the Muslim Rights Concern on Monday expressed grief over the death of the Emir.

MURIC Director, Prof. Ishaq Akintola, in a statement, also commiserated with the head of the Nigerian Muslim community, the Sultan of Sokoto and the Governor of Kaduna State over the death.

“The news of the passing away of the Emir of Zazzau is saddening. Our sympathy also goes to the Zazzau Emirate Council, particularly the Yariman Zazzau, Alhaji Munir Ja‘afar and the good people of Zaria.

“Shehu Idris was the 18th Emir of Zazzau and the Chairman of Zazzau Emirate Council as well as the Kaduna State Emirate Council.

“He once ordered his convoy to turn back and find another route instead of telling the police to attack a Shiite procession that refused to allow his convoy to drive past.”

The remains of the monarch have been laid to rest at his palace in Zaria besides some past emirs of the emirate.

The late monarch who was the 18th Emir of Zazzau, was the Chairman, Kaduna State Council of Chiefs.

Shehu Idris was coronated the Emir of Zazzau on February 15, 1975, and has ruled Zazzau emirate for 45 years, before his death.

Continue Reading

SignatureTV Trending

Copyright © 2020 Signature TV Communications