Connect with us

NIGERIA

Banditry: Arewa salutes Buratai over success of Operation Sahel Sanity

Published

on

The Chief of Army Staff, COAS, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, and the troops of the Nigerian Army have been commended for their gallantry and success in the war against banditry in the North West of the country.
The Arewa Crusaders Against Banditry, ACAB), who made the commendation, said the performance of the troops of Operation Sahel Sanity has brought rapid success  in the northwest. 
According to the group, the Nigerian Army has so far exceeded expectations, returning normalcy to the once-troubled region, particularly in Zamfara and Sokoto States.
Speaking on behalf of the group on Tuesday, Mallam Idris Gambo, said the north is proud of the COAS and troops’ modest achievements in such a short period.
“The Arewa Crusaders Against Banditry is aware of the leadership strides of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai. This is evident in the exploits of Troops of Operation Sahel Sanity deployed at forwarding Operation Base Sabon Birni LGA of Sokoto State, where it smashed a notorious illegal arms smuggling syndicate who specializes in massive arms supply to bandits in the North West from across the international borders,” the group said.
“This feat is a further testament of the level of dedication by the troops of the Nigerian Army whose morale have been boosted by the innovations introduced in the operations of the Nigerian Army since the appointment of Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai as Chief of Army Staff by President Muhammadu Buhari.
“The various successes of Operation Sahel Sanity has further reaffirmed the confidence of an overwhelming majority of Nigerians in the Muhammadu Buhari led administration and the military to be able to arrest the activities of criminal elements that dare the peace of the citizens in North-West Nigeria, as well as other parts of the country.
“Our appreciation goes to the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai for leading the Nigerian Army most professionally despite the numerous operational challenges associated with conducting many operations across the country simultaneously.
” Our appreciation also goes to the troops that have been dedicated and steadfast in the trenches, ensuring that the enemies of Nigeria are not allowed to disrupt the peace of the country through their nefarious activities.”
The Arewa group also hailed the citizens of Zamfara and Sokoto for supporting the Army in its quest to rid their states of bandits and other criminal elements.
It said the success of the Operation Sahel Sanity should serve as a wakeup call to other states on the need for synergy.
” The Arewa Crusaders Against Banditry hereby state that Zamfara State and its citizens have shown that the quickest way to defeat any insurgency is by collaborating with the security agencies while shunning conspiracies and sabotage that will ruin the efforts of the military,” the statement added.
“The political authorities by this action have indeed set a worthy example for other states experiencing acts of criminalities as the task of curtailing the activities of criminal gangs is not for the security agencies alone, but rather that of active participation and collaboration of all stakeholders including the citizens.
“We wish to state that this statement of fact must be the watchword moving forward as we are all expected to join forces with the Nigerian Army in ensuring that all parts of Nigeria is safe for all concerned in our quest for sustainable peace and development.
The group, however, called on all Nigerians to continue to show solidarity with the COAS and the troops in their various operations across the country.
“We consequently wish to state that there are worthy lessons to be learnt and emulated as provided by the Zamfara and Sokoto examples. Nigerians must also develop the habit of appreciation of our troops that have been engaged in the task of keeping Nigeria safe and secured at every point in time.
“The Arewa Crusaders Against Banditry enjoins Nigerians from all walks of life to see the Nigerian Army as partners in progress and as well inculcate the habit of appreciating their invaluable sacrifices in the war against criminal elements that are bent on seeing to the regime of sorrow, tears and blood.
“The Arewa Crusaders Against Banditry wishes to state that it is not yet Uhuru, as the task before us requires continued cooperation from all and sundry in North West Nigeria as well as other parts of the country. This is true must be seen as a collective endeavour, rather than the responsibility of the Nigerian Army alone.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NIGERIA

Flood displaces scores in Kano, Nasarawa, Kwara

Published

on

Heavy downpour which lasted for days has left many displaced in Kano, Kwara, and Nasarawa states forcing governors Abdulahi Ganduja, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, Abdullahi Sule to seek for a speedy supply of relief materials to victims from the Federal Government.

In Nasarawa,  Governor Abdullahi Sule, yesterday, raised the alarm that scores of people, including aged men, women, and children, were displaced and rendered homeless following a flood that ravaged Nasarawa town in Nasarawa Local Government Area.

Sule, who appealed to the Federal Government to quickly intervene in tackling flood and other ecological problems facing the state, said it was the second time flood would wreak havoc in Nasarawa in less than two weeks.

He said houses were submerged, just as animals were killed, with some persons reportedly missing.

The governor stated this, yesterday when he visited the affected LGA where he ordered the evacuation of the displaced persons.

He directed the state emergency management agency to provide relief materials such as food items and mattresses without delay to the victims.

In a statement signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Ibrahim Addra, the governor “urged the people of the state to desist from building on waterways and stop indiscriminate dumping of refuse in drainages.”

In the same vein, the Executive Secretary, Kano State Emergency Relief Agency (SEMA), Dr. Saleh Jilli, in an interview with Daily Sun, lamented that this year’s flood was far more devastating than it had ever been in the state. He said an assessment showed that there was no local government council in the state that was spared by the flood, adding that in some cases, over 100 houses were destroyed by the flood in a single local government council.

While imploring the National Emergency Relief Agency(NEMA), Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Presidential Task Force on Relief and Rehabilitation and National Refugees Commission to deliver and assist victims, Jilli underlined the fact that most  of the victims had been displaced and were in urgent need of support

He equally appealed to well -to –do individuals in the state to assist the displaced, saying government alone  could not shoulder all the responsibilities of ameliorating the suffering of the flood victims.

Similarly, on Saturday night, torrential rains that lasted several hours  wreaked havoc in Ilorin, Kwara state capital.  One life was said to have been lost during the heavy rains, it was gathered.

Two persons whose corpses were  yet to be recovered were equally swept away at Taiwo Isale and Oko-Erin bridges in the metropolis, a source at the state Fire Service said.

The heavy downpour also destroyed several houses and property.

The rains started around 7pm and stopped in the wee hours of Sunday.

Kwara State Governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq commiserated with families whose houses  were affected.

The state government urged  the Federal Government to urgently consider Kwara for special support even as it is setting up a special disaster response team to collate data of areas affected and determine how the state government can offer support based on available resources.

Continue Reading

NIGERIA

Nigeria records 97 new cases of COVID-19, total now 57,242

Published

on

Nigeria now has 57,145 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with 97 new cases recorded on Sunday night.

According to a tweet from the Nigeria Center for Disease Control, NCDC, 48,569 patients have now been discharged, with 1,098 deaths recorded.

The tweet revealed that Lagos State had the highest number of infections on Sunday night with 46 cases, with Kwara State following with 12 cases.

Other states read as follow:

Rivers-11 Adamawa-4 Niger-4 Ogun-4 Osun-4 Ekiti-3 Imo-3 Kaduna-3 Plateau-2 FCT-1

Continue Reading

NIGERIA

FCTA captures 300,000 households for social plan

Published

on

THE Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has commenced the second phase of registration of vulnerable persons in Abuja for its Social Investment Programme.

FCT Minister of State, Dr Ramatu Aliyu stated this at a 3-day training for community-based targeting team at the legislative chamber, Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC), Abuja.

Aliyu revealed that the second phase, which targets communities in AMAC, Bwari and Gwagwalada Area Councils, was coming after completion of the first phase which captured poor and vulnerable persons in Abaji, Kuje and Kwali Area councils.

Represented by her Special Assistant and FCT Focal Person on Social Safety Net Programmes, Chiwendu Eteyen Amba, Aliyu said that over 88,000 poor households were registered in more than 400 communities in the first phase of the programme.

”It is on record that as at August 2020, a total number of 88,464 poor and vulnerable households and 309,509 individuals from 408 communities across the three Area Councils were identified and registered into the National Social Register (NSR)”.

Continue Reading

SignatureTV Trending

Copyright © 2020 Signature TV Communications