Connect with us

NIGERIA

Shell launches N82m feeding at isolation centres

Published

on

Employees of Shell companies in Nigeria have launched a free feeding in COVID-19 isolation centres in seven states under the Shell Employee Care Programme, the General Manager External Relations of Shell Nigeria, Igo Weli, said in a statement issued on Sunday.

“The programme has kicked off in Abia, Bayelsa, Delta, Imo, Lagos, Ogun and Rivers and it is a further demonstration of care to the people following the numerous intervention programmes by Shell companies in Nigeria particularly in support of government at all levels in the fight against the spread of the novel coronavirus pandemic,” Weli said.

The programme, according to Weli, was being funded from personal donations by staff and contractors of the Anglo-Dutch integrated energy giant, the total amount of which was matched by the companies to make up the N82.6million for the programme.

The programme delivery strategy involves collaboration with the state governments, non-government organisations and certified caterers to provide freshly cooked meals daily to patients and healthcare workers at the isolation centres.

Head of Clinical Services at the Bayelsa State Isolation Centre in Yenagoa, Dr James Omietimi, who oversees the distribution of the meals said, “I eat the lunch provided and the nutritional value is good because of the variety. I can tell you it’s tasty and meals have been coming in daily.”

So far, this intervention has provided over 31,000 meals to the isolation centres with plans to scale up to 54,000.

Shell companies in Nigeria had earlier donated ambulances, testing machines and kits, medical consumables and personal protection equipment to Abia, Bayelsa, Delta, Imo, Lagos, Ogun, Oyo and Rivers states to help in the fight against the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.

In 2012 and 2018, staff and contractors of Shell companies in Nigeria had also made a personal cash donation to provide succour to victims impacted by the unprecedented flood and Internally Displaced Persons humanitarian crises in the Niger Delta, Kogi and the Anambra States, and North East of Nigeria, as part of the Shell Employees Care scheme.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NIGERIA

Ondo 2020: We’re committed to hitch-free polls, burnt smart readers replaced – INEC Chairman

Published

on

Following the destruction of over 5000 card readers in the ICT unit of the Ondo State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, the Chairman of the commission, Prof Mammud Yakubu has disclosed that the card readers have been replaced.

The INEC boss revealed this on Wednesday in Akure while speaking with newsmen during a three-day working visit to the State.

Recall that about 5,141 smart card readers meant for the governorship election were burnt in the inferno that occurred on September 10.

According to Prof. Yabuku, the visit was to have on-the-spot assessment of the level of preparedness of the commission ahead of the October 10 governorship polls.

While stressing that the governorship election in the State will be hitch-free as witnessed in Edo State last Saturday, Yakubu maitainted that the commission had made provision for the card readers from other States and they have been configured ahead of the polls.

“We have already recovered some smart card readers. We unfortunately lost over 5000 smart card readers to the fire incident.

“We have, however, recovered by getting requisite a number of smart card readers from neighbouring Oyo State,” he said.

Yakubu explained that he was in the State to meet with the Resident Electoral Commissioner, REC, Ambassador Rufus Akeju and Head of Departments ahead of the October 10, Governorship Election in Ondo State.

He also stated that during the visit, he would interact with all the stakeholders in the election, including traditional rulers in the State to ensure the success of the election.

Continue Reading

NIGERIA

Let whoever offered me bribe, come out – Magu

Published

on

Embattled suspended chairman of the Economic & Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu has denied allegations of receiving bribes.

The counter-statement came after the suspended EFCC chairman opened his defense to the allegations of ‘Alleged Abuse of Office and Mismanagement of Federal Government Recovered Assets and Finances’ leveled against him on Monday September 21.

Responding to allegations of allowing Hima Aboubakar, a Nigerien National to escape from justice, Magu challenged anyone who has ever offered him a bribe which he accepted to “come out publicly to confront him before the Justice Ayo Salami panel”.

He insisted that he has never received bribe in his life.

Continue Reading

NIGERIA

Flood kills five, takes over LG secretariat, displaces corps members in Jigawa

Published

on

Floods have killed three persons, taken over a local government secretariat and displaced corps members in Miga Local Government Area of Jigawa State.

Council Chairman Alhaji Muhammed Abubakar Agufa said hundreds of residents lost their homes while hundreds of farmlands in the area were destroyed.

He lamented that the incident has become a yearly occurrence, the result of blockages in the Hadejia river by typha grass.

It was learnt that other structures such as the police station, mosques, schools and Hospitals were also submerged.

The situation has forced local government officials including the council chairman to operate from home while the police have resorted to using trees as a temporary shelter.

The executive secretary of state emergency Management Agency, SEMA Alhaji Yusuf Sani Babura said the agency is currently assessing the level of damage caused by the flood for intervention across the state.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Recent Posts

SignatureTV Trending

Copyright © 2020 Signature TV Communications