Connect with us

NIGERIA

Okowa lifts suspension of minimum wage for workers

Published

on

Delta State governor, Dr Ifeanyi Okowa, has lifted the suspension on the minimum wage of some category of workers in the civil service, The Nation has learnt.

Recall that the Okowa administration reviewed salaries of political appointees and civil servants on salary grade level seven and above for six months with effect from July 2020.

Delta State NLC chairman, Goodluck Ofobruku, who disclosed this to reporters in Asaba, yesterday, said the state government agreed to the suspension of the payment of the new minimum wage for levels seven to 17 be lifted with effect from September 1st, 2020.

Ofobruku expressed pain at the sudden hike in both fuel and electricity tariffs by the Federal Government during this trying of the Covid-19 19 pandemic in the nation.

He praised workers in the state for their patience and understanding all through the period under review and promised that better things were on the way for them.

He stressed that the earlier agreement between the state government and Nigeria Labour Congress was for a six months period, adding that the hike in fuel and electricity bills by the Federal government hastened the decision to suspend the slash in salary.

The Special Adviser on SERVICOM and Labour, Mike Okeme said the government promised to lift the suspension on minimum wage whenever there was an improvement in the economy, and praised Okowa for being sympathetic to the plight of workers.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

NIGERIA

Flood displaces scores in Kano, Nasarawa, Kwara

Published

on

Heavy downpour which lasted for days has left many displaced in Kano, Kwara, and Nasarawa states forcing governors Abdulahi Ganduja, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, Abdullahi Sule to seek for a speedy supply of relief materials to victims from the Federal Government.

In Nasarawa,  Governor Abdullahi Sule, yesterday, raised the alarm that scores of people, including aged men, women, and children, were displaced and rendered homeless following a flood that ravaged Nasarawa town in Nasarawa Local Government Area.

Sule, who appealed to the Federal Government to quickly intervene in tackling flood and other ecological problems facing the state, said it was the second time flood would wreak havoc in Nasarawa in less than two weeks.

He said houses were submerged, just as animals were killed, with some persons reportedly missing.

The governor stated this, yesterday when he visited the affected LGA where he ordered the evacuation of the displaced persons.

He directed the state emergency management agency to provide relief materials such as food items and mattresses without delay to the victims.

In a statement signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Ibrahim Addra, the governor “urged the people of the state to desist from building on waterways and stop indiscriminate dumping of refuse in drainages.”

In the same vein, the Executive Secretary, Kano State Emergency Relief Agency (SEMA), Dr. Saleh Jilli, in an interview with Daily Sun, lamented that this year’s flood was far more devastating than it had ever been in the state. He said an assessment showed that there was no local government council in the state that was spared by the flood, adding that in some cases, over 100 houses were destroyed by the flood in a single local government council.

While imploring the National Emergency Relief Agency(NEMA), Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Presidential Task Force on Relief and Rehabilitation and National Refugees Commission to deliver and assist victims, Jilli underlined the fact that most  of the victims had been displaced and were in urgent need of support

He equally appealed to well -to –do individuals in the state to assist the displaced, saying government alone  could not shoulder all the responsibilities of ameliorating the suffering of the flood victims.

Similarly, on Saturday night, torrential rains that lasted several hours  wreaked havoc in Ilorin, Kwara state capital.  One life was said to have been lost during the heavy rains, it was gathered.

Two persons whose corpses were  yet to be recovered were equally swept away at Taiwo Isale and Oko-Erin bridges in the metropolis, a source at the state Fire Service said.

The heavy downpour also destroyed several houses and property.

The rains started around 7pm and stopped in the wee hours of Sunday.

Kwara State Governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq commiserated with families whose houses  were affected.

The state government urged  the Federal Government to urgently consider Kwara for special support even as it is setting up a special disaster response team to collate data of areas affected and determine how the state government can offer support based on available resources.

Continue Reading

NIGERIA

Nigeria records 97 new cases of COVID-19, total now 57,242

Published

on

Nigeria now has 57,145 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with 97 new cases recorded on Sunday night.

According to a tweet from the Nigeria Center for Disease Control, NCDC, 48,569 patients have now been discharged, with 1,098 deaths recorded.

The tweet revealed that Lagos State had the highest number of infections on Sunday night with 46 cases, with Kwara State following with 12 cases.

Other states read as follow:

Rivers-11 Adamawa-4 Niger-4 Ogun-4 Osun-4 Ekiti-3 Imo-3 Kaduna-3 Plateau-2 FCT-1

Continue Reading

NIGERIA

FCTA captures 300,000 households for social plan

Published

on

THE Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has commenced the second phase of registration of vulnerable persons in Abuja for its Social Investment Programme.

FCT Minister of State, Dr Ramatu Aliyu stated this at a 3-day training for community-based targeting team at the legislative chamber, Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC), Abuja.

Aliyu revealed that the second phase, which targets communities in AMAC, Bwari and Gwagwalada Area Councils, was coming after completion of the first phase which captured poor and vulnerable persons in Abaji, Kuje and Kwali Area councils.

Represented by her Special Assistant and FCT Focal Person on Social Safety Net Programmes, Chiwendu Eteyen Amba, Aliyu said that over 88,000 poor households were registered in more than 400 communities in the first phase of the programme.

”It is on record that as at August 2020, a total number of 88,464 poor and vulnerable households and 309,509 individuals from 408 communities across the three Area Councils were identified and registered into the National Social Register (NSR)”.

Continue Reading

SignatureTV Trending

Copyright © 2020 Signature TV Communications