INEC Bars Journalists From Covering Event In Ebonyi
There was confusion and anger amongst practising journalists in Ebonyi State, especially correspondents of national dailies, who were barred from covering a media event.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), had earlier scheduled a meeting that required media coverage.
Trouble started around 11:15 am, when correspondents covering various media organisations in Ebonyi State gathered at the Conference Hall of INEC Office located along Town Planning Way, for a briefing billed by the State Resident Electoral Commission /REC.
The State INEC Administrative Secretary, Mr Clement Oha, summoned the Journalists to his office and blatantly told them to their chagrin that the scheduled briefing was not for massive coverage.
According to him, “the Commission does not need the massive coverage of its activities, we don’t need this whole press”, he stated.
It would be recalled that the Ebonyi State House of Assembly during its plenary on Tuesday, directed the Commission to conduct bye-election in constituencies whose lawmakers seats were declared vacant.
The Speaker, Nwifiru Francis had directed the Clerk of the House to transmit a letter to INEC informing it of the three seats declared vacant and the need to conduct a bye-election.
Addressing members of the Correspondent Chapel of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Ebonyi State Council, the Vice Chairman of the Chapel, Comrade Uchenna Inya, expressed dismay over the action of the Commission.
Comrade Inya said that the Commission cannot work effectively without the partnership of journalists in the State and called on the Chairman of the Commission, Prof Mahmud Yakubu, to call the Resident Electoral Commission, Ebonyi State to order.
He stated that, should the commission continue with such unprofessional disposition, Correspondents Chapel will not hesitate to henceforth boycott all INEC programmes and activities in the State.