Signature TV News Highlights : COVID-19: Anambra Govt imposes dusk to dawn curfew
COVID-19: Anambra Govt imposes dusk-to-dawn curfew
The Anambra Government has imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew from Monday, February 8th, to contain the spread of COVID-19 in the state.
This is contained in a statement issued by the Secretary to the State Government, Professor Solo Chukwulobelu, on Friday in Awka.
Chukwulobelu said the curfew will be observed between 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily, until further notice.
According to him, the state COVID-19 Task Force, including the Ministry of Health, and Ministry of Trade and Commerce have been empowered to increase hospitals and markets surveillance.
Chukwulobelu added that the task force had been mandated to close any hospital (private and government-owned), and markets that do not comply with COVID-19 protocols in their operations. #
IPOB members attack Police Divisional Headquarters in Ebonyi
Some hoodlums suspected to be members of the Proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), on Thursday, attacked the Police Divisional Headquarters in Isu, Onicha Local Government Area (LGA) of Ebonyi State.
The left-wing of the Station was burnt in the process.
DSP Loveth Odah, Spokesperson of Ebonyi Police Command, confirmed the development.
In a press statement in Abakaliki, she said, four patrol vehicles were also burnt while One policeman sustained machete cut injuries during the attack and he is responding to treatment in the hospital. #
Abuja fire disaster: Humanitarian minister sympathises with victims
The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq, has sympathized with victims of fire disaster at the Tipper Garage Market, 3rd Avenue, Gwarinpa in Abuja.
Farouq expressed compassion to the affected people in a statement by her Special Assistant on Media, Nneka Anibeze, in Abuja.
The fire razed the market in the early hours of Thursday in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
Farouq described the fire outbreak as tragic, adding that she was deeply saddened by the incident.
Earlier, the minister directed the National Emergency Management Agency to assess the level of damage caused by the fire for immediate provision of relief and intervention materials. #
Nigerians in Atlanta outraged by killing of Prince Abuda
The Nigerian community in Atlanta, United States, has expressed outrage over the gruesome killing of its member, Prince Denis Oloniyo Abuda, by kidnappers in his home in Edo state.
President of the Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation (NIDO), Atlanta chapter, Dr Victor Ubani, conveyed the community’s reaction on Thursday.
Speaking to Newsmen in New York, Ubani condemned the killing of Abuda, a NIDO member, describing it as callous and inhuman.
Based in Atlanta, Georgia, Abuda was reportedly abducted alongside three family members on the Benin bypass on Saturday.
Reports say he was traveling from his hometown, Fugar, in Edo, to Lagos to catch his flight back to the U.S. when the kidnappers struck. #
Femi Kuti, son Made releases joint album “Legacy +”
The eldest son of Afrobeat pioneer Fela Kuti and Nigerian musician, Femi Anikulapo Kuti and his son Made Kuti have released their new joint project “Legacy +” under Partisan Records – home to Fela’s catalog.
The project packages two albums together from the father and son: ‘Stop the Hate’ by Femi, and ‘For(e)ward’ by Made, the first double record ever with a parent and child of its kind.
Both albums that makeup ‘Legacy +’ are steeped in the tradition of Afrobeat invented by Fela, but each also offers its own unique vision.
Femi’s ‘Stop The Hate’ honors Fela in a traditionally fun, sharply political, and affirming way. Meanwhile, Made’s ‘For(e)ward’ is a modern and progressive freedom manifesto, pushing the boundaries of the subgenre even further. Made also performs every instrument on his album. #