The Lagos State Government has commenced the payment of compensation to the next of kin of those who lost their lives in the explosion that rocked the Shoba community in the Abule-Ado area of the state on Sunday, March 15, 2020.
It was earlier reported that the explosion killed 23 persons, including the Administrator and some workers of the Bethlehem Girls College, and also destroyed over 60 buildings.
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation had claimed that the explosion was caused by a truck, which hit a stack of gas cylinders, but some residents of the community faulted the claim, alleging that the explosion was caused by a bomb.
The fire, which followed the explosion, ravaged the community and burnt many buildings.
Over 586 residents were rendered homeless as a result of the tragedy.
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu had set up a N2bn relief fund for the victims of the explosion.
The Director-General of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, said the state government had approved the payment of N2.5m to the next of kin of each deceased victim of the explosion.
Oke-Osanyintolu, in a statement by the LASEMA Public Relations Officer, Nosa Okunbor, on Wednesday, stated that the approved next of kin had been invited for verification, identification and collection of the money.
He said, “The verbal commitment made by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to assist the victims/families affected by the gas explosion of Sunday, March 15, 2020, in Shoba, Abule-Ado, in the Amuwo Odofin Local Government Area, has been graciously approved by the state Executive Council.
“This approval has been conveyed to the victims’ families by the DG/CEO of LASEMA, who highlighted the modalities for collection and how much each victim’s family is entitled to collect. Each named next of kin of a deceased victim will be given N2.5m by the Lagos State Government.”
Oke-Osanyintolu told our correspondent that 23 families showed up on Wednesday and had collected cheques for the amount.