HomeNEWSAnambra Polls: We Are Fully Prepared, INEC Assures Nigerians

Anambra Polls: We Are Fully Prepared, INEC Assures Nigerians

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Wednesday assured Nigerians of its preparedness for the forthcoming governorship election in Anambra State.

While addressing a joint Senate and House of Representatives Committee on INEC, the commission’s Chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu, said ad-hoc staff of the agency have been fully trained for the poll.

The INEC chairman also noted that relevant election materials have been deployed to all local governments in Anambra.  He also assured the committee that INEC has recovered from the attacks on its facilities, adding that the electoral body is set for the November 6  election.

“We have successfully carried out 12 of the 14 activities we should do; the only outstanding activities are on the last day of campaigns by political parties which are going to be in the next eight days, and the election proper on the 6th of November,” he said.

“We have recovered from the series of attacks on our facilities, and I am happy to say that we have deployed all relevant materials not only to Awka but all the local government areas.

“We have trained the requisite number of ad-hoc staff for the election and we have also mobilised the transport owners for logistics. As far as INEC is concerned, we are prepared,” Professor Yakubu declared.

Earlier in October, INEC released a final list of candidates for the Anambra polls, revealing that over 2.5 million registered voters are eligible for the coming elections.

However, there have been fears that the violence threatening peace within the Southeast, might eventually mar the conduct of the polls.

Bearing this in mind, INEC met with the National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno, and at the meeting, Professor Yakubu decried the worsening insecurity in Anambra, warning that the rate of attacks in the state may affect the commission’s plan for the poll if not properly tackled.

Professor Yakubu admitted that he is particularly concerned about the safety of staff and ad-hoc staff who will help in the conduct of the election, adding that they need strong assurances of their safety during and after the poll.

According to the INEC boss, information at his disposal indicated that the attackers, who have unleashed mayhem in the south-eastern state, do not want the governorship election to be held next month.

In a bid to put the situation under control, the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, ordered the deployment of Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG), Joseph Egbunike, and some Assistant Commissioners of Police.

He also ordered the deployment of over 34,000 personnel to the state and disclosed that three helicopters would be sent for surveillance during the election.

According to the police chief, there are also other trained animals and equipment that will be used for monitoring when the election gets underway.

IGP Alkali Baba, in a recent interview, stated that the police would collaborate with other security agencies and INEC to ensure the conduct of a peaceful election in the state.

The IGP assured that the Force will do everything within its power to work with all stakeholders to protect democratic values, provide a level playing field for all political actors, and ensure adequate protection of voters, INEC personnel, and equipment, as well as accredited observers among others.

The IGP’s comments echo the most recent orders of President Muhammadu Buhari regarding the situation in Anambra.

Following a meeting with the nation’s security chiefs, President Buhari directed the Nigerian Armed Forces and law enforcement agencies to ensure that no group or individual is allowed to stimulate anarchy and chaos in Anambra State.

President Buhari noted that peace must be maintained in Anambra even if it requires the military to dominate the state ahead of the governorship election

Share this story
Written by

Signature TV is a multi-media company, owners and operators of signaturetv.org and producers of The Signature Show on AIT and Corruption Tori. Our programmes are broadcast on the AIT Network and on Seven NTA stations across the country. We are content providers for a number of television networks and some State TV stations, with a respected 24/7, high online and offline followership. We are also Communications/Media Consultants to MacArthur Foundation, Ford Foundation and OSIWA.

No comments

Leave a Reply

Daily Updates

Subscribe to get news updates