HomeNIGERIANBA insists on FG’s probe of Lekki shootings

NBA insists on FG’s probe of Lekki shootings

On its part, the NBA  reiterated its call on the Federal Government to thoroughly probe the incident of the shooting of peaceful #EndSARS protesters by soldiers at the Lekki Tollgate Plaza on October 20,2020.

It also said government should stop denying the incident and admit its mistake.

The NBA had at its National Executive Committee meeting held two days after the incident demanded an investigation to reveal the identities of the persons who gave the order for the attack, the soldiers who carried out the shooting as well as the slain and missing victims of the attack.

Requested by one of our correspondents to react to  Wednesday’s release by Amnesty International giving a timeline of the attack by the soldiers, the NBA, through its Publicity Secretary of the NBA, Dr Raps Nduka, said the continuously changing claims of relevant authorities concerning the incident had further shown that there was the need for a thorough probe into the incident by the Federal Government.

Nduka said, “There is no doubt that something happened there that night.  You can see the denials and some admissions. The Army initially said there was no soldier at the scene of the shooting but later said they were called to intervene by the Governor of Lagos State. The governor himself had earlier denied knowing anything about it.

“This is why it was part of our positions at our last NEC meeting that the Federal Government should thoroughly investigate the incident. The Federal Government must investigate the incident for there to be a way forward.”

He added, “You will recall that it was the disbelief that the protesters had in the government that made them to continue protesting despite the government’s promise to meet their demands.

“Ordinarily, the citizens should believe the government when the government says something. But this was not the case when the government promised to meet the demands of the #EndSARS protesters because many of such promises had been made by the government and were not fulfilled in the past.

“This going back and forth speaks volumes about the intention of the government as to whether they want to really deal with the issues.”

“We have come to a point where some narratives are being pushed right now to give an impression that nothing happened. They are saying that those who said that there were some shooting are peddling fake news. At the end of the day, we will be doing great disservice to our own people. There are things that should be admitted, then you look for the way forward – ‘This has happened; oh, there was  a mistake somewhere’, then we look for the way forward. When government acts this way, the people will believe what it says. But if we keep going back and forth, it speaks volumes about the intention of government and whether they actually deal with the issues that the people are raising.”

Share this story
Written by

Signature TV is a multi-media company, owners and operators of signaturetv.org and producers of The Signature Show on AIT and Corruption Tori. Our programmes are broadcast on the AIT Network and on Seven NTA stations across the country. We are content providers for a number of television networks and some State TV stations, with a respected 24/7, high online and offline followership. We are also Communications/Media Consultants to MacArthur Foundation, Ford Foundation and OSIWA.

No comments

Leave a Reply

Daily Updates

Subscribe to get news updates