Brazilian legend, Ronaldinho, will remain in prison after an appeals court in Paraguay on Friday rejected a request from his lawyers to release him from pre-trial detention over a fake passport investigation, according to France 24.
Ronaldinho and his brother, Roberto, have been held in a police cell in Paraguay since March 5 for allegedly using false documentation upon their arrival in Paraguay capital Asuncion.
It was recalled that Lawyers representing the former Barcelona attacking midfielder and Roberto filed an appeal last Thursday, two days after another court rejected their request to release the duo on bail or to house arrest.
“The risk of flight and the risk of obstruction of the investigation, which is the basis of the detention measure against the Assis Moreira brothers, has not changed,” the appeals court judges said in a statement.
Sixteen persons have been implicated in the fake passport scandal so far, public prosecutor Federico Delfino said.
Ronaldinho and his brother are being kept in the same police cell in a building with 192 other prisoners.
The former Paris Saint-German and AC Milan star is currently without a Brazilian passport because of an environmental fine he received back in 2018.
The 39-year-old retired from active football in 2018.
Ronaldinho won several trophies and individual awards, including two Ballon d’ Or and the 2002 FIFA World Cup.