HomeNEWSSignature TV News Highlight-IPOB lawyer reacts to Buhari’s refusal to release Nnamdi Kanu

Signature TV News Highlight-IPOB lawyer reacts to Buhari’s refusal to release Nnamdi Kanu

 

No plan to sack workers, Finance minister recants

Finance, Budget and National Planning Minister Mrs. Zainab Ahmed on Thursday said the Federal Government under President Muhammadu Buhari’s watch has no plan to retrench workers.

The minister’s position negated what she said while giving a breakdown on the 2022 Appropriation Act on Wednesday.

Ahmed had said the government was working out a severance package for those that would be affected by the staff rationalisation being planned.

But featuring on Nigerian Television (NTA) ‘Good Morning Nigeria’ programme, the minister said Buhari will not approve managers of the economy to lay off civil servants to cut down on recurrent expenditure.

IPOB lawyer reacts to Buhari’s refusal to release Nnamdi Kanu

 

Ifeanyi Ejiofor, the Lead Counsel to Nnamdi Kanu and the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) on Thursday night said that the legal team of the Nigerian-British activist as not perturbed by the position taken by President Muhammadu Buhari over deploying political solution to resolve the issue of the prominent detainee.

President Buhari had few months ago promised to consider the request to release Kanu when a delegation of Igbo elders led by the first Republic Aviation Minister, Chief Mbazuluike Amechi visited him. But the President, in an interview with Channels TV on Wednesday night, said emphatically that he would not release the IPOB leader, insisting he must defend his actions and utterances in court.

Ejiofor in his reaction via his known Facebook page, described the President’s position regarding the release of Kanu as a “stereotyped response” even as he demanded that the Nigerian leader refrain from interfering in the judicial process.

Nasarawa holds security meeting on crisis resolution

Nasarawa State Governor, Abdullahi Sule has convened the first Security Council meeting of the year with a vow to resolve the farmers’-herders’ crisis.

According to a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Ibrahim Addra, the meeting resolved to sustain all efforts to enhance the security of lives and property in 2022 and beyond.

The expanded meeting of the Council equally reviewed security successes and challenges, including the recent attacks in some parts of the state and killings of cattle, particularly in the Doma Local Government Area.

Stakeholders in the state commended Governor Sule for his proactive and reconciliatory approach to security challenges and resolved to adopt new and robust strategies and measures to forestall the breakdown of law and order in the state.

Federal  Govt releases N31.97b to offset accrued rights liabilities

The National Pension Commission (PenCom) has announced an additional release of thirty-one point nine-seven billion naira by the Federal Government for the payment of accrued pension rights to 2021 retirees.

This was coming after the release of the sum of sixteen point six-seven billion naira  on December 29, 2020, bringing the total amount released for payment of the 2021 accrued pension rights to N48.64 billion.

Before the payment of sixteen point six-seven billion naira in December last year, the Federal Government total pension liability to retirees was over N100 billion, as the Federal Government had earlier settled all arrears of accrued pension rights payments to the verified and enrolled retirees up to December 2020.  

Ighalo to miss Afcon after Al Shabab refuse to let him go

Nigeria striker Odion Ighalo will not play for his country at the Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon after his Saudi Arabian club refused to let him go.

Riyadh-based Al Shabab said his call-up from the Nigerian Football Federation had arrived after the deadline and they were therefore refusing to let him go, as Odion Ighalo is no longer expected as a result of issues with his Saudi Arabian club.

Nigeria also failed to send a call-up letter in time to Watford for striker Emmanuel Dennis, who is also not going to the tournament because his club refused to release him.

Countries must inform clubs of call-ups 15 days before the start of a tournament, according to Fifa regulations.

The former Watford and Manchester United player, was the top scorer at the last Afcon finals in Egypt where Nigeria reached the semifinal.

 

Share this story
No comments

Leave a Reply

Daily Updates

Subscribe to get news updates