HomeNEWSSignature TV News Update-Senate suspends action on Electoral Bill till January

Signature TV News Update-Senate suspends action on Electoral Bill till January

 

Senate suspends action on Electoral Bill till January

The Senate on Wednesday said it will wait till January to respond to the withholding of assent to the Electoral Act (amendment) Bill by President Muhammdu Buhari.

The upper chamber legislative chamber  said the move would enable it consult with the House of Representatives, which is presently on recess, and to seek the input of their constituents.

Meanwhile, senators were not comfortable with the decline of anticipated assent to the Electoral Act Amendment Bill by President Muhammadu Buhari and were  gathering signatures to override the president  in a bid to pass the Bill into law.

A source revealed that while Senator Lawan tried to pacify the lawmakers, some of them were adamant and insisted that the Red Chamber should make recourse to its veto power, as enshrined in the constitution. #

Insecurity: Bandits don’t repent until they die, says El-Rufai

Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai has said bandits do not repent until death ends their evil act.

The governor said this on Tuesday while addressing journalists after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.

He said his administration was convinced that bandits should be neutralized to end their nefarious activities,   noting that the whereabouts of the bandits were not hidden but that the military was being careful because of the collateral damage its operations could cause to the civilian community.

He said there was little the state could do, if the security forces could not take the war to the bandits’ hideouts and  asked the President to give his state more security forces and a comprehensive operation, even as he  urged the security forces to carry out aggressive operations against the bandits.

 

NECO Sets To Make Examinations Compulsory In All Schools

The National Examinations Council (NECO) has said it has begun moves to make its examinations  compulsory in all states in the country. 

In a statement by the council’s  Head of Information and Public Relations Division, Mr Azeez Sani, expressed hope that other states would follow after the Cross River Government which had granted approval to make all public examinations conducted by NECO compulsory for all public schools in the state.

Sani said the Cross River State Governor, Professor Ben Ayade, gave the approval following a request by the Registrar/Chief Executive of NECO, Prof. Dantani Ibrahim Wushishi, during a courtesy visit to the governor in Calabar.

 

The council conducts the National Common Entrance Examination (NCEE), Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) and the Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE).

The governor was quoted to have expressed satisfaction with the performance of Cross River indigenes in NECO SSCE in the last five years.

He explained that NECO, being the only national indigenous examination body in the country, deserved the support of all Nigerians.#

Nigeria, UAE Row Ends As FG Reinstates Emirates’ 21 Weekly Flights

The diplomatic spat between Nigeria and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has been resolved as the Federal Governmenton Tuesday  restored Emirates Airline’s winter schedule comprising 21 frequencies to Nigeria.

 

However, Emirates Airlines which had suspended all flights to Nigeria temporarily in the wake of the fresh row is yet to react to the latest development.

 

It was learned that the airline might resume flights immediately in order to cater for thousands of its passengers whose flights were affected by the development.

The Emirates Airlines’ restriction took effect last week but the issue has been resolved barely a week after.

 

Director-General of the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority, (NCAA), Musa Nuhu, in a letter addressed to the Country Manager, Emirates Airlines said the carrier’s winter schedule has been restored.

Police beef up security, ban use of fireworks in A’Ibom

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom says it has beefed up security and banned the use of fireworks during the Christmas and New Years

This was contained in a statement signed by the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, SP. Odiko Macdon in Uyo on Wednesday.

Macdon said the Commissioner of Police (CP), Andrew Amiengheme, had ordered the immediate enforcement of the ban on the use of fireworks across the state during the yuletide.

He warned those who usually burn tyres on the roads to desist from such act as those caught would be prosecuted accordingly, noting that the law banning the sale and use of prohibited explosives (knockouts inclusive) is still in force.#

 

2021 Budget: Buhari Seeks Senate’s Approval for N276.8bn Virement

The Senate Tuesday received a formal request from President Muhammadu Buhari seeking the Senate’s approval for the virement of two hundred and seventy-six point eight billion naira to fund expenditures in the 2021 budget.

 

A breakdown of the virement request detailed by the Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, showed that one hundred and ninety-nine point one billion naira was for payment of local contractors’ debts, public service wage adjustment for Ministries, Departments, and Agencies, Sustainable Development Goals Projects 3 and Group Life Assurance.

In addition, four point five billion naira was for Federal Ministry of Education, two point three billion naira for Nigeria Airforce; four point six billion for Ministry of Defence, twenty-five billion naira for National Assembly in settling minimum wage areas of National Assembly Staff and intervention to settle outstanding liabilities owed local contractors.

Others were twenty-billion naira for Federal Roads Maintenance Agency; seven hundred and sixty-two point seven million for Nigeria Correctional Services; five hundred and ninety-two million for the Federal Road Safety Commission as financial assistance for the execution of 2021 end of the year special patrol operation, and nineteen point seven-eight billion naira funding for Federal Medical Centre, Katsina, University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Ahmadu Bello Teaching Hospital, Zaria.

 

ON THE FOREIGN SCENE

Israel to offer fourth COVID-19 vaccine dose in bid to outpace Omicron

Israel is to offer a fourth dose of a COVID-19 vaccine to people older than 60 or with compromised immune systems, and to health workers, as part of a drive to ramp up the shots and outpace the spread of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus.

A Health Ministry expert panel, whose findings have yet to be implemented recommended on Tuesday that those eligible receive the fourth shot at least four months after receiving their third.

Prime Minister Naftali Bennett, who has sought to drum up higher Israeli turnout for vaccines, welcomed the panel’s statement as “great news that will help the country  overcome the Omicron wave spreading around the world

The panel further recommended that the time allotted between second and third shots be reduced to three months from five, as such measures would be part of the preparation for the fifth wave of the pandemic.

 

Actor Damola Olatunji charged over face-off with Police

Popular Nollywood actor Damola Olatunji has been charged to court after confronting a police officer for slapping his personal assistant in Abule Egba area of Lagos state.

Earlier in a viral video, a police officer was seen hiding his face after Damola confronted him and his colleagues for slapping his Personal Assistant because the actor “asked them to allow a young man whose bike they seized, to drive it”.

News of the actor being arraigned in court on charges of “public incitement and assaulting police officers” came after he disclosed that he is being held at Area P police division.

Filmmaker and actor, Lanre Adediwura confirmed that Damola was taken to Ogba Magistrate court after being “kept in police custody for standing against police intimidation.

Napoli’s Victor Osimhen “Available” For Nigeria At Africa Cup Of Nations

Victor Osimhen said Tuesday that he will be available to play for Nigeria at the Africa Cup of Nations despite currently being out of action while recovering from a smashed cheekbone.

Napoli forward Osimhen looked certain to miss out on the continental tournament, which is scheduled to kick off on January 9, after initially being ruled out for three months following surgery on face fractures suffered against Inter Milan in late November.

But the 22-year-old insisted he would be ready to travel to Cameroon with the Super Eagles.

Osimhen is currently training for Napoli while wearing a protective facemask and waiting for the go-ahead to recommence playing earlier than expected, as the Cup of Nations is gearing up for its start next month against a backdrop of persistent rumours that it could be called off or postponed after already having been delayed by a year due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this story
Written by

Signature TV is a multi-media company, owners and operators of signaturetv.org and producers of The Signature Show on AIT and Corruption Tori. Our programmes are broadcast on the AIT Network and on Seven NTA stations across the country. We are content providers for a number of television networks and some State TV stations, with a respected 24/7, high online and offline followership. We are also Communications/Media Consultants to MacArthur Foundation, Ford Foundation and OSIWA.

No comments

Leave a Reply

Daily Updates

Subscribe to get news updates