HomeNEWSWatch SignatureTV News Update – Corruption Tori Hosts Town Hall meeting in Mpape, Abuja

Watch SignatureTV News Update – Corruption Tori Hosts Town Hall meeting in Mpape, Abuja

127 Enugu Custodial Centre inmates to write NECO exams

About one hundred and twenty-seven inmates of Enugu Custodial Centre are expected to sit for the November/December National Examination Council (NECO) Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (external).

The Public Relations Officer of the state command of Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS), Monday Chukwuemeka, said this in Enugu on Thursday.

Chukwuemeka said that the NCoS under the leadership of the Controller-General of Corrections, Haliru Nababa, was focused on using education as a viable tool for reforming inmates in custodial centres in the state.

He said that the state Controller of Corrections, Nicholas Obiakor, has appreciated the Carmelite Prisoners Interest Organisation (CAPIO) and Isaac Blessings Foundation for financing the registration of 71 and 56 inmates for the NECO examination.

Eight killed, vehicles burnt as speeding tanker, truck collide in Ogun

An early morning accident on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway reportedly claimed the lives of eight people who were burnt to death and 15 others who sustained varying degrees of injury on Wednesday in Ogun State.

The accident, which involved a petrol tanker laden with Premium Motor Spirit and a truck, along with five other vehicles that were parked along the road, were consumed by the inferno which occurred around the Tunji Alegi Filling Station in the Kwakyama area of Ogere.

The Public Education Officer, Federal Road Safety Corps, Ogun State, Florence Okpe, confirmed the accidents blamed it on dangerous driving and wrongful overtaking on the part of the petrol tanker while stating that the victims of the accident had been taken to the Idere hospital for medical attention.

However, the Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, said the contractor handling the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway would be held accountable for his failure to provide safety signs on the road.

 

IN BUSINESS

FG raises power tariff December, begins free meters purchase

Power consumers nationwide may start to pay more for electricity, following plans by the Federal Government to carry out a review on power tariffs.

This came as the Federal Government said on Wednesday that it had commenced the procurement of four million meters meant to be distributed free of charge to unmetered power users nationwide.

It also put the number of unmetered electricity consumers in Nigeria at about eight million, adding that over 860,000 meters were distributed for free to power users under phase zero of the National Mass Metering Programme.

It was learnt on Wednesday that the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission would review the country’s power tariffs by next month, barring any unforeseen circumstance.

On the four million free meters being procured, the Deputy General Manager, Consumer Affairs, NERC, Shittu Shuaibu, described it as phase one of the NMMP, which had commenced but explained that the mass metering intervention was not free as such because the government was giving out loans for the provision of these meters to Nigerians.

 

ON THE FOREIGN SCENE

Greece Begins Espionage Trial of 24 Aid Workers

More than two dozen aid workers will go on trial over their role in helping migrants reach Greece between 2016 and 2018 on Thursday.

The defendants face a raft of charges, including espionage, forgery and the unlawful use of radio frequencies.

Human rights groups have condemned the trial as being politically motivated and Amnesty International has called the charges farcical, while Lesbos, the island at the centre of the migration crisis, will host the trial.

The trial comes as Greece’s conservative government, led by Kyriakos Mitsotakis, has clamped down on human rights groups in an attempt to limit the number of migrants entering the country.

 

IN SPORTS

Edouard Mendy Criticises Media Outlets Over Use of His Image in Stories About Benjamin Mendy

Chelsea goalkeeper Edouard Mendy has criticised media outlets for mistakenly using his image in stories about Manchester City’s Benjamin Mendy.

City and France full-back, Benjamin Mendy has been charged with six counts of rape and one of sexual assault and remains in custody.

The Senegal International said it is sad to see that in 2021, in France as well as in England, black people have neither names nor distinct faces as photos of Edouard Mendy and his cousin, Real Madrid’s, Ferland Mendy, have been used to illustrate articles.

On Wednesday, the 27-year-old appeared in court to face two further charges of rape, related to alleged attacks in Macclesfield in July and August and was suspended by the City after being charged by police, pending an investigation.

Safety and security begin with you. Be patriotic. Report any suspicious activity to law enforcement agencies. Please stay safe.

Share this story
No comments

Leave a Reply

Daily Updates

Subscribe to get news updates