Bandits Massacre 40 in Sokoto Market, Buhari Declares Total War
President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday declared total war on bandits wreaking havoc in parts of the country, saying their days are numbered.
The president stated this while reacting on Sunday to the killing of over 40 people by bandits at Goronyo market, in Sokoto State.
He sent a tough warning to the criminals , saying that their ultimate destruction is ticking as they would no longer have a place to hide.
Buhari had earlier taken a critical look at the security situation in the country before news of the massacre in Sokoto State filtered in.
He boasted that the military and other security agencies were recording greater successes in the bid to rid the country of insecurity.
Governor Aminu Tambuwal of Sokoto State, reacting to the killing in his state, called on the Nigeria Army to carry out coordinated operations in the North-west to help stamp out banditry in the region.
FG Embarks on N189m Road Project in UNIJOS
The federal government has embarked on a two-kilometre road network in the University of Jos (UNIJOS) worth N189 million.
According to a statement by the Deputy Registrar, Information of the university, Mr. Abdullahi Abdullahi, the intervention, under the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing, was awarded for the construction and rehabilitation of the road linking the Naraguta Hostel gate to the Abuja Hostel at the permanent site of the university.
He added that the Minister of Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, who was represented by a deputy director in the ministry and Plateau State Controller of Works, Mr. Usman Abubakar, disclosed this during the handover of the project site at the permanent site of the university.
He explained that the two-kilometre road project comprises bush clearing, discaffication of existing failed sections, patching of potholes, overlaying of the road and construction of drainages and culverts, which he said would be completed within a space of three months.
Fashola assured the university that standards will not be compromised as all materials that will be used would be subjected to the relevant testing procedures to ensure that quality is maintained.
Be Ready for Fireworks – Nnamdi Kanu’s lawyers react to Amended Charges
Lawyers to the embattled leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu have reacted to an amended charge against him by the Nigerian Government.
The government on Monday amended terrorism charges against Kanu, who has a court appearance on Thursday, 21st of October.
Reacting to the development, Kanu’s lead counsel, Ifeanyi Ejiofor disclosed that there will be ‘legal fireworks’, adding that legal council had a fruitful visitation to Nnamdi Kanu.
He said that Nnamdi Kanu was in good spirit, awaiting his auspicious outing on Thursday, the 21st Day of October, 2021 and commended those who are in the spirit with him.
Eid-el Maulud: PDP Felicitates with Nigerians, Urges National Rebirth
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has urged Nigerians to use the occasion of this year’s Eid-el Maulud for solemn introspection and to make commitment towards a rebirth in all areas of national life.
The party, in a statement on Tuesday, by Kola Ologbondiyan, its National Publicity Secretary, noted that Eid-el Maulud, the celebration of the birth of Holy Prophet Mohammed, presents a providential occasion for our nation to put behind, all issues that cause disunity, disaffection, strife and despondency and move to a new beginning
The party urged Nigerians to embrace the virtues of love for one another, tolerance, mutual understanding and forgiveness, in line with the teaching of the Holy Prophet.
The PDP noted that such is the only way to move the nation forward under the present circumstance.
The party also called on Nigerians to use the occasion to make fervent supplication to God for divine intervention as well as show love by reaching out to one another.
Nigerian govt scraps DPR, PPPRA, PEF, sacks CEOs; inaugurates new regulatory agencies
The Federal Government on Monday effectively put an end to the existence of the Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR), the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) and the Petroleum Equalisation Fund (PEF) with the inauguration of new regulatory bodies for the oil industry.
The government, however said that staff of the scrapped agencies are protected while their chief executive officers have all been relieved of their appointments.
The Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Chief Timipre Sylva, revealed this while speaking with journalists on the side-lines of the inauguration of the boards of the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NPRA) and the Nigerian Upstream Regulatory Commission (NURC) in Abuja.
According to the minister, the passage of the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) has invested the functions of Department of Petroleum Resources, Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Authority and the Petroleum Equalization Fund on Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NPRA) and the Nigerian Upstream Regulatory Commission (NURC)
He stated that the process for aligning the workers of the defunct agencies with the new regulatory bodies had already commenced, as the staff had to be rationalized adding that competent hands were now handling the business, assuring Nigerians an exponential growth in the oil and gas sector.
Haitian gang reportedly demands $17M in exchange for kidnapped missionaries
An armed gang is demanding a $17 million ransom for the group of American and Canadian missionaries kidnapped in Haiti last week
Justice Minister Liszt Quitel told the newsmen that the notorious 400 Mawozo gang is asking one million dollars per hostage..
The Mawozo gang controls the Ganthier commune in the eastern suburbs of the country’s capital, Port-au-Prince, where the group of 16 U.S. nationals and one Canadian was kidnapped on Saturday while traveling to visit an orphanage.
Quitel said the hostages include five children, the youngest of whom is 8 months old#
Wembley Euro 2020 final disorder ‘seals the deal’ for 2030 World Cup bid hopes
European football’s governing body Uefa has punished England and the Football Association (FA) for the disgraceful scenes inside and outside of Wembley Stadium at the Euro 2020 final.
England have been ordered to play one match behind closed doors, with a second game suspended for two years, for the “lack of order and discipline inside and around the stadium”.
The one-match ban in question only applies to Uefa competitions, not World Cup qualifiers, and will be in place for England’s next Uefa Nations League game in June 2022.
The FA was also fined €100,000 (£84,560) for the “invasion of the field of play, for throwing of objects and for the disturbances during the national anthems”.
The ban is the first time the FA has received a punishment that has resulted in England having to play a home match behind closed doors.