Anambra poll: IGP deploys new CP, special forces
The Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, has ordered the immediate posting of Echeng Echeng as the new Commissioner of Police in Anambra State.
He takes over from CP Tony Olofu, who has been redeployed to the Force Headquarters, Abuja.
The IGP has also ordered the deployment of a detachment of NPF Special Forces to bolster and complement the ongoing peace-building efforts of the Nigeria Police Operation Restore Peace in Anambra State.
This was contained in a statement on Tuesday, by the force spokesman, Frank Mba, titled, ‘IG orders posting of CP Echeng Echeng as new commissioner of police, Anambra State.’
The IGP, who is particularly concerned by the renewed incidents of attacks on innocent individuals and symbol of state authority in the state, ordered the new commissioner of police to mobilize both kinetic and non-kinetic law enforcement and crime-fighting approaches to reverse the negative trend, reclaim public spaces from hoodlums and restore public peace in the state.#
Delta Police Arrest Three Inmates On Death Row For Kidnapping
The Delta State Police Command has paraded over 30 suspects for offences such as robbery, kidnapping and cultism.
The state Commissioner of Police, Mohammed Ali, said operatives arrested three suspected kidnappers who attempted to kidnap the wife of a traditional ruler of Umunede kingdom.
It was learnt that the suspects had previously been on a death row before escaping during the #EndSARS jailbreak.#
Kano govt denies reports Ganduje’s wife was arrested
The Kano State Government has issued a rebuttal in the wake of viral reports that the Governor’s wife, Hafsat Ganduje was arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
This was contained in a statement issued on Wednesday by the Commissioner for information Malam Muhammad Garba.
Garba described the reports as mere rumour being peddled by mischief makers.
According to him, the reports were part of the plans of critics to discredit the character and integrity of the Gandujes.#
PenCom partners EFCC on pension fraud
The National Pension Commission has announced that it is working with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to eradicate fraud in the pension sector.
The Director-General, PenCom, Aisha Dahir-Umar, spoke while giving her goodwill message at the opening ceremony of a two-day sensitisation workshop on the ‘Eradication of pension fraud in Nigeria’.
Dahir-Umar also said that the industry had accumulated pension assets in excess of N13tn, which had been invested in various aspects of the economy and still growing.
The Director-General who was represented by the Commissioner Inspectorate, PenCom, Clement Akintola, said the problems of fraud and mismanagement in the pension sector in Nigeria were among the reasons that necessitated the pension reform of 2004 by the Federal Government.#
Sanwo-Olu Reacts As Tinubu Confirmed Dead
The Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has reacted following the death of the former Head of Service, Alhaji Rafiu Tinubu, who died at the age of 75 years after a brief illness.
Sanwo-Olu in a statement signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Gboyega Akosile described Tinubu’s death as a huge loss to the state and the nation in general.
The Governor sympathized with Tinubu’s family, the deceased’s friends and associates, adding that his demise came at a time the nation and Lagos in particular needed his wealth of experience the most.”
The Governor said people of the state would always remember the laudable achievements of the former top civil servant, who, he said, served the state meritoriously for 26 years before he rose to become the Head of Service.#
NCC disqualifies Nigerians below 18 from getting SIM
The Nigerian Communications Commission has disqualified anyone below the age of 18 from registering and owning a Subscriber Identity Module in Nigeria.
This is according to the draft copy of the modified Registration of Telephone Subscribers Regulations published on the commission’s website.
In the modified regulations, NCC limited telecoms subscribers to only include anyone above the age of 18.
The regulations were made in line with the powers conferred upon the commission by section 70 of the Nigerian Communications Act,2003.
In accordance with Section 57 of the Act, the NCC conducted a Public Inquiry on the Registration of Telephone Subscribers Regulations, alongside the draft SIM Replacement Guidelines and the draft Spectrum Trading Guidelines at its head office in Abuja on Tuesday.#
Ramaphosa: ‘Kagame wouldn’t dream of deploying to SADC without consent’
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa says he is in talks with Mozambican President Filipe Nyusi about regional efforts to quell the insurgency in the northern Cabo Delgado Province.
He noted that Rwanda’s deployment was done in full cooperation and partnership.
Ramaphosa, who became chairperson of the Southern African Development Community’s (SADC) Organ on Politics, Defence and Security cooperation in August, announced that Southern African Development Community’s forces are giving as much assistance to Mozambique as possible.
The mandate of SADC’s mission in Mozambique was extended by another three months on Tuesday 5 October after a summit during which Ramaphosa met with the Organ’s former chair, Botswana’s Mokgweetsi Masisi, the next chairperson, Namibia’s Hage Geingob, as well as Nyusi.#
Facebook outage: I’m not worried about money lost, says Zuckerberg
Silicon Valley techpreneur, Mark Zuckerberg, has said that he was not worried about the money lost or the number of users who migrated to other social media platforms during a seven-hour outage of his services on Monday.
Zuckerberg, who made this known in a Facebook post late Tuesday, said he was rather concerned about those who rely on his products to connect with friends and family.
With Monday’s outage of his apps, Zuckerberg’s personal wealth has fallen by nearly $7 billion, knocking him down a notch on the list of the world’s richest people.#
War of Words Escalates Between PSG & Real Madrid as French Club Accuses Spanish Giants of Disrespect
World Cup winner Kylian Mbappe’s potential switch to Real Madrid has now transformed into an ever-escalating war of words between the two iconic clubs.
Sporting Director of Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) Brazilian Leonardo Nascimento de Araujo has slammed 13-time Champions League winners Real Madrid as he claimed that they are making a mockery of French star Kylian Mbappe’s association with the Paris-based club.
Leonardo’s scathing remarks came after Real president Florentino Perez hinted that a deal for Mbappe has already been sealed by Cristiano Ronaldo’s former side.
Mbappe, who receives a staggering $20 million a year from PSG besides performance-linked bonuses, turned down the new contract, despite the French side offering him a significant salary hike and an option to stay at the club for one more year.
But Perez appeared quite confident about landing Mbappe at the Santiago Bernabeu by January when reporters asked him last week if Real Madrid was still in hot pursuit of the prodigious forward.
Even though the Real president later went back on his remarks as he realised that it could jeopardise the Spaniards’ relationship with PSG, Leonardo’s accusations have confirmed that his worst fears have turned out to be true.#