FG to take urgent steps to stop maltreatment of Nigerian traders in Ghana-Onyeama
The Nigerian government has said that it will take urgent steps to halt the maltreatment of Nigerian traders in Ghana.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, who disclosed this on his Twitter handle, @GeoffreyOnyeama, on Monday, said immediate steps would be taken to halt the situation.
“Nigerian Government has watched with dismay the painful videos of the forceful closure of the shops of Nigerian traders in Ghana. Urgent steps will be taken.”
He said the government has watched with dismay, the painful videos of forceful closure of the shops of Nigerian traders in Ghana.
The authorities in Ghana had asked Nigerian traders to pay about One million dollars each for shops which they currently occupy or intend to rent or risk the taking over of such shops by the locals.
The ill treatment of Nigerian traders in Ghana is coming two months after the controversial demolition of block of flats within the residence of the Nigerian High Commissioner to Ghana.
Recall that there had been lingering crisis between Nigerian traders in Ghana and the Ghana Union of Traders Association, GUTA, which earlier led to the closure of over 400 Nigerian businesses in Ghana.
The closure resulted to protest by the National Association of Nigerian Traders, NANTS, and the Nigerian Union of Traders Association, Ghana, NUTAG, before they were eventually reopened.