HomeNEWSWatch Signature TV News Update: Appeal Court upholds final forfeiture order of Diezani’s forty -million- dollar jewellery  

Watch Signature TV News Update: Appeal Court upholds final forfeiture order of Diezani’s forty -million- dollar jewellery  

Appeal Court upholds final forfeiture order of Diezani’s $40m jewellery

The Court of Appeal sitting in Lagos on Friday upheld the final forfeiture order on the forty- million -dollar worth of jewellery seized from the premises of the former Minister for Petroleum, Diezani Allison-Madueke.

Justice Festus Obande, who read the judgment, dismissed the move by the former minister to challenge the forfeiture order, heling that there was no substance in Alison-Madueke’s bid to overturn the lower court’s order.

Barring any appeal by the former minister to the Supreme Court, the court held that the jewelleries are to be forfeited to the Federal Government.

In July 2019 the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), had secured an order from Justice Nicholas Oweibo of the Federal High Court to temporarily forfeit the expensive items to the Federal Government.

According to the schedule attached to the forfeiture application, the jewellery, categorised into 33 sets, includes “419 expensive bangles; 315 expensive rings; 304 expensive earrings; 267 expensive necklaces; 189 expensive wristwatches; 174 expensive necklaces and earrings.

Others were 78 expensive bracelets; 77 expensive brooches; and 74 expensive pendants.

The investigator also said that the EFCC was in possession of the details of the bank account through which Mrs Alison-Madueke received her salary as a minister.

 

Over 10 Killed, Houses Burnt in Fresh Attack on Plateau Village

At least 10 persons including children have died while others have sustained injuries in an attack on Te’egbe village of Miango District in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.

The perpetrators who were   suspected to be  herdsmen,  invaded the community in the early on Friday morning, setting houses ablaze, maiming and killing residents in the of the attack.

The National Publicity Secretary of Irigwe Development Association, Davison Malison, while confirming the incident to newsmen , said apart from the 10 bodies recovered so far, others were still missing.

Meanwhile, Governor Simon Lalong who condemned the attack on the village, said the criminals are bent on instilling fear, pain and sorrow on the people with a view to destabilizing the state and making fortune from their criminality as well as rupturing the substantial peace attained.

 

Nigeria diversifying from oil – Osinbajo

The Vice President of Nigeria. Professor Yemi Osinbajo says Nigeria is now focusing on non-oil exports.

He said the zero-oil plan promoted by the Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC), affirms the country as being on economic diversification path.

Osinbajo said this on Thursday while receiving a delegation from NEPC led by the outgoing Executive Director/CEO, Segun Awolowo.

The Vice President also said that the country is on the right path and hailed the attention to non-oil exports, he also encouraged policymakers to ensure that in the next few years, the zero-oil plan is achieved.

Osinbajo hailed Awolowo for his foresight and putting in place a plan that is well-structured and detailed.

He noted that the Export Expansion Facility Programme (EEFP) was a natural progression for the zero-oil plan.

He advised stakeholders to brace up for the challenges ahead and ensure that the right things are done.

 

Kaduna Govt Announces Restoration Of Telecoms Services

The Kaduna State Government has announced the restoration of telecommunication services more than a month after it was shut down on the orders of the state security council.

The state Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, who made the announcement at a news conference on Friday, said the restoration of full services in the affected areas may unfold over a few days, as the service providers are mobilised to power their transmission systems accordingly.

Aruwan noted that the state government regrets the inconveniences residents of the affected LGAs may have encountered as a result of the shutdown, and also commended the sacrifices made while the shutdown lasted.

However, the government reiterated that the other measures announced as part of the security containment orders remain in force.

 

Fuel worth N12.87bn lost in seven months, says NNPC

Petroleum products valued at N12.87bn were lost in seven months as oil theft and pipeline vandalism continued to plague the country’s oil and gas industry.

The latest data obtained from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation showed that product losses amounted to One Point Six-Seven Billion Naira  in September, compared to three point six-nine billion  in July and two point one eight billion  in June.

The corporation said products worth one point one-one billion naira  were lost in May, up from nine hundred and sixty-one point three five million  in April.

Product losses amounted to one point six-four billion naira in March and one point six-two in February. No losses were recorded in January and August, according to the national oil company.

NNPC further stated the Port Harcourt area accounted for 65 per cent in May while Mosimi and Kaduna areas accounted for 30 per cent and five per cent respectively of the vandalised points.

 

Lebanon Judges Resign to Protest Political Interference

Three Lebanese judges have resigned over interference by politicians in the work of the judiciary, including a probe into last year’s Beirut blast.

A probe into last year’s monster port explosion has exposed the extent of such interference, with top officials mounting a complex web of court challenges to obstruct the work of lead investigator Tarek Bitar.

A judicial source said that on Wednesday three women  judges, handed in their resignation “to protest political interference in the work of the judiciary and the undermining of decisions issued by judges and courts.

According him, the head of the country’s top court was yet to approve the resignations and has called for the matter to be discussed in a meeting.

The resignations came after officials filed dozens of lawsuits against Bitar as well as other judges processing requests by lawmakers demanding his removal.

 

IN SPORTS

Super Eagles striker discharged from hospital

Napoli have confirmed that Osimhen has been discharged from hospital following his successful surgery to the injury he suffered in the Serie A match against Inter Milan on Sunday.

Osimhen fractured his left cheekbone and orbital in the game against Inter Milan following a clash against Skriniar.

In a statement published on the club’s social media page, Victor Osimhen will rest for ten fifteen days before being reassessed.

The 22-year-old is expected to be out for three months, which rules him out of next year’s Africa Cup of Nations.

The club also thanked Inter Milan director Giuseppe Marotta and their medical staff for their help in making sure he received proper treatment in Milan before leaving for Naples.

Share this story
Latest comments

Leave a Reply

Daily Updates

Subscribe to get news updates